Thursday, June 19, 2008

Pet Peeves

What kind of pet peeves do you have? I have to admit I have my fair share of them. For example, why can't people seem to understand how a 4-way stop works? If you get to the intersection first, you go first; if you get there at the same time, the one on the right goes first. Simple, right? Apparently not. Nearly every day I drive up to a 4-way stop and another driver should go first, but they wait and wait and then wave for me to go first. It's great to be kind and polite, but the rules of the road were set up for everyone's safety. If you want to let someone go ahead of you, do it at the grocery store check out or hold the door open for them. On the road, just follow the rules; it's safer for everyone.

OK, now here's the point of this. As I was just thinking about what I was writing, I could feel myself on the verge of getting "worked up." Why is that? Because this is one of my pet peeves. It's one of those things that I let bother me. Why do we seem to have a problem with letting things bother us like this? Should Christians have a mindset that leads to being easily upset and angry about things? I don't think so. I'm not talking about being a little aggravated or frustrated; I'm talking about getting angry over things that really don't matter.

Paul said, "Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand" (Philippians 4:5). The qualities of meekness and gentleness are evidence of the Lord's influence in our lives. Paul listed this among what he called "the fruit of the Spirit" (Galatians 5:22-23). If we are truly following the Spirit's teaching, then we will demonstrate gentleness rather than harshness toward other people.

Hand in hand with gentleness, and immediately following it in Paul's description of the fruit of the Spirit is self-control. Without self-control, there will be no gentleness. You see, we demonstrate a gentle attitude toward others because we choose to do so. I suppose everyone gets frustrated or aggravated about different things now and then. I think Jesus even seemed to be a little frustrated with His followers at times. For example, Jesus told His apostles about how He was about to leave them, but that He was doing all of this to make it possible for men to come to the Father through Him. In response to this, Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us" (John 14:8). To me, Jesus seems to show a little bit of frustration with Philip in His response: "Jesus said to him, 'Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, "Show us the Father"?'" (John 14:9). If Jesus was frustrated with Philip, He chose not to react harshly toward him. He responded with gentleness. Frustration, aggravation, even anger can and must be controlled. Paul said, "'Be angry and do not sin': do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil" (Ephesians 4:26-27). By refusing to control these kinds of emotions, we give an opportunity to the devil in our lives. Many sins can result when someone fails to control his temper.

So let's be careful about our pet peeves. Let's make sure we maintain control and never let our emotions control us. Even if you're frustrated or angry, always try to maintain that spirit of gentleness.

Oh, and it would really help me out a lot if you would make sure you go when you're supposed to at that 4-way stop.

No comments: