Thursday, February 21, 2008

How Do I Love Thee?

Here's something I came across today. Isn't it interesting how you can read a passage a thousand times and then still notice something you've never noticed before? John wrote: "By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments" (1 John 5:2). We know that children of God are supposed to love one another. Jesus said this would identify us as His disciples (John 13:34-35). But look at what John said. How do we know that we love the children of God? It is by loving God and keeping His commandments. So if I don't keep the commandments of God, I don't love the children of God? That's what John said.

Why is that? God's commandments are for our good; that's why John said they are not burdensome (1 John 5:3). But no one lives an isolated life as a Christian: "For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself" (Romans 14:7). What I do affects you. If I live in disregard of the laws and commands of God that will have some kind of effect on you. It may influence you to disobey God, too. It may cause you to become skeptical or cynical toward other Christians. It may cause you to suffer grief and sorrow over my spiritual state. Remember, Paul said a little leaven leavens the whole lump (1 Corinthians 5:6). My disobedience potentially can have devastating effects on you. Is that love? I don't think so.

In the same way, my obedience to God's commands will have a positive effect on others. Isn't it easier to do what's right when others are trying to do right, too? Besides, how many of God's commands directly relate to the well-being of others? Following His will means I will try to restore one who strays away. It means I will seek to build up and encourage. It means I will sacrifice for the good of my brothers and sisters. I really cannot love you without obeying God!

In an age where people want to move away from the strict adherence to God's laws in favor of a more "loving" approach to things, we need to understand what it really means to love. You cannot separate love and obedience to God's laws.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post... Agape love of brothers means much more than bending of the will to reduce their pain.

Sometimes seeking the best for someone can be a little uncomfortable.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kevin, good thoughts. I look forward to reading your thoughts from time to time.